Mary-Anne Godfrey is a Psychotherapist and Counsellor with over 20 years experience working with both adults and adolescents. Mary-Anne's approach is eclectic, drawing from many theoretical perspectives and dependent on the needs of her client.
I am a highly experienced practising psychotherapist and have worked with clients of all ages, life-stages and many nationalities. I have a lively intellect; I am well travelled, have lived in three countries and enjoyed a rich and varied life.
In my work as a therapist I help to restructure and heal those aspects of a person’s self that have been damaged, arrested or traumatised so that they can experience, sometimes for the first time, feelings of joy and optimism.
The therapy I offer takes the form of an extended ‘conversation’ with my client, in which I engage with him/her as a whole person – not just with ‘the problem’.
I believe that depression, anxiety and anger are symptoms, not illnesses. My work in helping clients address the causes of depression and anxiety has led me to understand that they are different conditions, and neither are they the same for all sufferers.
I believe that when people behave in harmful and problematic ways towards themselves, and sometimes others, they do so as ways of coping with inner difficulties.
It is these inner issues that I aim to transform in the therapy I offer.
Areas of Focus
Anxiety, Depression, Self-Esteem, Insomnia
Bullying and Harrassment
Family relations/parenting support
Grief & Loss, Complex grief.(eg suicide)
Identity / sexual orientation
Post Traumatic Stress disorder (PTSD)
Relationship issues/couple counselling
Victims of Crime
I have qualifications and accreditations that are recognised across Australia and internationally.
Qualifications & Certifications
- Bachelor of Humanities and Social Science
- Graduate Diploma Education
- Graduate Diploma Psychotherapy - MCCP
- Certificate in Couples Counselling - Relationships Australia
- Working with Children Clearance (Ochre Card)
- Current First Aid
Accreditations & Affiliations
- Clinical Member Reg. 21082 - Psychology and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA)
- Affiliation - Australian Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (ARCAP)
- Clinical Member - Melbourne College of Contemporary Psychotherapy (MCCP)
- Member Reg. 61794 - International Association for Psychoanalytic Self Psychology (IAPSP)
Experience & Training
- Lecturer in Adult Psychotherapy Diploma (MCCP) Infant development and Ethics
- Extensive Trauma training (Dr Berthold Gersons, Babette Rothschild, Dr Janina Fisher)
- Ongoing professional development and supervision
- Supervisor of other mental health professionals
- Victims of Crime therapy
- Secondary Teacher of Psychology & Arts
Get in touch today
Contact me to make a booking to discuss your requirements further.